From time to time, we store several pictures and images of the same thing or same scene. But how should we sort and remove them on our device? Well, that is what we’re going to discuss in this article. Apple included a new function to the Photos app with iOS 16 to remove all duplicate photos from one or more photo albums automatically. While the images or photos in your iPhone (or iPad) are important, some duplicate images in your photo gallery are inessential, and keeping them on your Apple devices isn’t worth it.
Because of the latest feature of iOS 16 and the Shortcuts app (if you’re using iOS 15 or above), you can easily remove duplicate photos and images on your iPhone and iPad. The in-built Photos app can easily detect all the duplicate images and videos in your photo library. This feature is useful for wiping out your photo library with duplicate photos and managing your library’s storage space. The latest iOS software update comes with a slew of amazing features and specifications, specifically for the Photos app.
Along with removing duplicate images and photos, you can now edit several photos immediately, lock your hidden and recently deleted photos album, and much more.
How to delete duplicate images and photos automatically on iPhones and iPad?
- Firstly, on your iPhone or iPad device, go to the Photos app.
- Now, select the Albums tab from the bottom end of the Photos app.
- After that, swipe down the app until you find the Duplicates option which is listed under the “Utilities” section on the Photos app.
- Now, check the duplicate matches on the Photos app (Click on any duplicate images or photo pairs to see if they’re quite identical to each other or not).
- Now, after their inspection, you can either select all the duplicate images or click on the Merge option OR you can individually choose the photos one by one and click on the Merge option.
- Finally, click on the Merge Duplicates prompt to confirm the process of merging the duplicate images on your photo library. This feature will remove all the duplicate images and keep the images with the highest resolution.
Note – This feature looks for the image’s name or image metadata. It compares this with all of your photos and images, so it won’t be able to distinguish between the photos taken at the same time, place, or featuring similar objects. But this feature processes and helps to remove the duplicated photos created accidentally or due to the sharing of the images on other social media applications like Whatsapp, Instagram, etc.
How to delete duplicate photos on iPhone and iPad with the help of Siri Shortcuts?
If you’re using iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or an earlier version and still want to remove duplicate images or photos from your Photos app, then you’ve come to the right spot. This method will only help you to remove the photos which you’ve downloaded from the Internet. It generally looks for the image’s metadata and compares it with the metadata of other images available on your Apple devices like iPhone or iPad.
To begin this process, firstly you need to download this shortcut by clicking here. After downloading the shortcut on your Apple device (like iPhone or iPad), simply go to the Settings app and switch off the iCloud Sync feature and follow the given steps properly –
- Firstly, open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone or iPad device.
- Now, click on the “Delete Duplicate Image” shortcut on the Shortcuts app.
- If it detects any duplicate images or videos on your photo library, the shortcut will prompt you with a pop-up message to check them again. (Depending on the storage size of your photo gallery, this process could take time).
- After reviewing the duplicate images, click on the Done option.
- Now, it will again display a pop-up message on your device’s screen. If you want to remove the duplicate images from your photo library, click on the Remove option and it will delete the duplicate images from your photo library.
- If you want to recheck the duplicate images once again, click on Show All option which will show you the duplicate images which you want to remove from your device.